Here is where I intend to publish my modeling of the mechanics of rowing.
Most of what I will publish here is based on a few sources on the web.
- Physics of Rowing for the basic equations
- Bill Atkinson’s page on modeling the rowing stroke
- A MatLab model by Marinus van Holst
- Rowing Biomechanics Newsletter by Dr. Valery Kleshnev
Nothing new here, so please move on to one of those links now for some interesting reading.
What I have done is:
- Created a Phyton/NumPy model based on the equations by Marinus van Holst
- Slightly improved Marinus’ model
- Generate a lot of numerical results
- Use the model to calculate rower power for rowing world records in various boats and weight categories, and compare these number with available data
Why do I publish this if it’s nothing new? Basically I hope to get some reactions, especially hoping to improve the model, perhaps discover a few discrepancies. Find some people who are also interested in the physics of rowing.
I intend to use this blog to describe my model and the results. I have a family, a job and also spend a lot of time doing the actual rowing, so be patient. It will take time.